What is it?
DOOM II is a first-person shooter by id Software. It was ported to the Switch by Panic Button in 2019 by Panic Button. Experiments gone awry have brought an onslaught of demons from Hell to our planet. As a lone space marine, you must rip ‘n’ tear your way through military stations, urban locations, and eventually Hell itself.
- Still fun and challenging after all these decades
- January 2020 update added Master Levels for DOOM II, No Rest For The Living, TNT: Evilution and Plutonia expansion packs, all with level select added.
- Smoother framerate, quick saves/loads, and aspect radio; won’t drain the battery as quickly when playing in portable mode
- Split-screen co-op and deathmatch
- Cheap price
- Still no online multiplayer servers
- Playing on single Joy-Con controllers is challenging as heck
- Odd glitch during gameplay; the menu will occasionally pop up during gameplay, meaning you can’t save
The greatest DOOM game to date is now even more fun to play on the Switch. The core game already has fantastic visuals, engaging gameplay and brilliant soundtrack. Now we’ve been spoiled with a bundle of additional map packs, performance tweaks, and even plans on releasing fan-made levels every so often. This port is a must-have for FPS fans and Nintendo lovers alike.